Tuesday, October 10, 2006

HOW COULD I BE SO SELFISH?

Sometimes when I look around, I can feel how blessed I am!

There are people who cannot see; I can enjoy the sparkling city lights from my window!
There are people who cannot hear; I can choose what music to play on my way to work!
There are people who cannot walk; I can dance my heart out!
There are people who have to walk miles and miles for water to drink; I can sing in the shower for hours!
There are people who die of hunger; I can choose between Thai, Italian, Mexican, Indian, and Chinese for every meal!
There are women who are abused, beaten, raped and humiliated every day; I have been brought up like a dew-drop on the palm by my parents!
There are kids who cannot go to school because they have to work to survive; I can choose which laptop I want to buy next!

What have I done to get all this?
What have I done to be so lucky?

Nothing!

And after all that, if I ask for even more to be happy, wouldn’t that be ungrateful, greedy and selfish?
It’s like being a King of the whole world and still asking for one more acre of land in order to be happy!

Whom do I thank for all I have got?
How often do I actually thank him?
Do I even thank him???

Is just thanking him for all these favors enough?
May be not!
Of course its not!
I just cannot be taking all these things for granted and not wonder why I have been given those!?
I need to repay it all back! I need to find a way to return all these favors.
But how do I do that?

Maybe it can only be done by doing good!
Being good!
Helping those who need me!

Maybe the “Good” has been sent my way, not to be owned by me; but to be spread around!
Maybe I am just a medium to spread the good that has been sent to me!

So.. here is the whole scenario as I look at it!
What was I supposed to do, and what am I actually doing???
I am asking for more for myself , when I am actually supposed to use what have been given to put smile on someone’s face!
What the hell am I doing?
Am I crazy?

How could I be so selfish???

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think any genuine action can only come out of selfishness... Traditional meaning is way too tainted, don't follow that. See you want to help others because you know it makes 'you' happy, if not in short term then in long term. Usually one can easily expand one's 'self'interest to cover family, friends. If it covers your country, that is patriotism. If it covers everybody, it is altruism. Many a times, what we take pleasure in, is not in our control, and there is always conflict between short & long term self interest, making morality so difficult. But one sure step in right direction, is not to be driven by guilt, because guilt is fear and fear is opposite of pleasure.